Sunday, April 24, 2011

April 19, 2011

Ruth/Mom/Grammy and I went to Baylor All Saints today for her to have what we thought would be surgery to remove her first port and replace it with a second port on the other side of her chest. When we checked in, I thought it was a little strange that they sent us directly to Radiology instead of to Day Surgery like the last time, but since the last time they eventually took Mom to Radiology to insert her port and feeding tube and, Johnny and I waited in the same waiting room Mom and I were now waiting in, I didn't worry too much. When the nurse came to get us, it was one of the same nurses who had been there for her 1st port surgery. She told us that Dr. Patel thought he could, and would like to try to, manually flip the port back to its original/correct position. We both went back in the Radiology wing and, they took Mom to one room while I waited in another. I heard and saw Dr. Patel and the nurse (can't remember her name) as they were conferring over an x-ray they were trying to take of Mom's port. The next thing I knew, Mom was coming out of the room and, for some reason, I figured we were going to to Day Surgery to get ready for surgery. Instead, the nurse said we could go home because when the doctor checked out Mom's port and the x-ray she had taken, the port had already flipped back to its original/correct position on its own. (Okay, not on its own. God, thank you!) They even accessed the port to be sure it would be ready for the next round of chemotherapy. Anyway, it was like Christmas in July and it was time to celebrate! Mom and I went to Red Lobster (one of our favorite restaurants) for lunch and, later that afternoon, I took her to Baker Street Pub to see her friends whom she had not seen in about a month. What a day! Thank you for all your prayers for Ruth/Mom/Grammy! Please don't stop praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment